The Great White Shark

The Great White Shark
The Apex Predator Of The Sea

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Basking Sharks

The Basking Shark is the SECOND LARGEST living fish after the Whale Shark. Similar to the Whale Shark, Basking Sharks are filter feeders, having small, thread-like teeth that serve as 'rakers' (i.e. separating their food from the non-food). These sharks are notoriously slow moving and are usually greyish-brown in color. Their teeth are small and are extremely numerous (there are approximately 100 teeth per row).
The Basking Sharks are found all over the world in temperate oceans, generally favoring the warmer waters. Basking Sharks also tend to migrate alone or in small schools. They do NOT hibernate, and remain active year-round.
They are NOT an aggressive breed of shark.
Basking Sharks earned their name because they are known for literally basking in warm waters.They are often seen close to shores and do not retreat as other breeds of sharks do upon a moving boat or ship. They are not attracted to chum as most other breeds of sharks are. Basking Sharks tend to follow migrating plankton concentrations, however, they characteristically migrate according to the seasons.

On average, an adult Basking Shark reaches lengths of approximately 20-26 feet and weigh in around 5.1 tons!! They can be identified by their large, cavernous mouths (which are approximately 3 feet long)!!
Basking Sharks are known to breach as the Great White Sharks do. Scientists believe that while a Great White's purpose of breaching is to stun and kill prey, Basking Sharks perform this breathtaking feat to dislodge annoying parasites off of their bodies. Basking Sharks are social animals and have few predators (do to their intimidating size).
A female's gestation period is approximately 1 year on average, however, it is speculated that it could be as long as 2 or 3 years!
The Basking Sharks reach maturity between 6-13 years.
Unfortunately, the Basking Sharks are fished for their fins and in some areas have completely disappeared. They are considered a vulnerable, threatened species.
Thankfully, it is illegal to hunt these sharks in the UK, Malta, Florida and along the US Gulf. These are harmless sharks and due to overexploitation are being subjected to the cruel and inhumane practices of finning.

3 comments:

  1. For some reason I am unable to message you directly, so I hope you see this! I absolutely adore you for making this blog and putting so much time into educating people about sharks and their struggle to survive on this planet with us. I run a page on facebook called Give A Shit About Oceans and sharks are my #1 favorite creature in the sea. I am sharing your blog with my page and would love it if you'd post some of your blogs from time to time, if you're interested. Much love from BC, Canada from another marine activist ~ Jessy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jessy for your comments! That means a lot to me!! I would love to post some of my stuff on your page...absolutely! I will go on Facebook and find your page and like it for sure!
    Thank you again!
    Love,
    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blog! Thanks for posting all this great information up. I love sharks. I accidentally came across this blog when I misspelled baskin (was googling baskin robins ice cream). Anyways I'm glad I came across your page. I wish more people would educate themselves about sharks and realize that they are a vital part of our ocean/earth . As for people who think culling is ok, that just sickens me.

    ReplyDelete