The Great White Shark

The Great White Shark
The Apex Predator Of The Sea

Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Theory of Mine...

I do some of my best thinking in the shower, and it occurred to me a possible theory as to why sharks have very few proponents in this world.

Here are some of my thoughts:
1) First of all, sharks do not have any fur, so they do not give off that warm and cuddly feeling; instead they seem to give off a cold, hard, and painful feeling.

2) There are those rows and rows of deadly, sharp teeth that don't help.

3) They don't yawn, sneeze, cough, sleep, or close their eyes.

4) You can't really blame the way they feed on animals as one of the reasons because you can just take a look at the National Geographic channel and see a lion or tiger devouring a still-alive baby zebra and that just shakes you to your core. So that is not a reasonable reason. All animals have violent tendencies.

5) This is my final reason, and I think this is at the core of the lack-of-supporters for sharks: sharks are really, the only species I can think of that have absolutely, 100% NO maternal instincts. They do not feed their babies milk, watch over them, teach them, guide them or anything. Once the baby is born they are on their own! Completely, they get absolutely no attention or help from their parents. I mean even certain species of snakes and spiders look after their young to a certain extent. But I guess if you have rows and rows of sharp teeth, serrated skin, and no arms, you wouldn't be a very good mother even if you tried. It is possible that this lack of maternal instincts doesn't promote affectionate feelings towards the apex predators of the ocean.

Anyway, this is just a theory of mine. Let me know what you think :)

Marissa

1 comment:

  1. I blame movies like Jaws, but I think you are onto something. We care about the cute animals that we can anthropomorphize (dolphin safe tuna always cracks me up).

    ReplyDelete